Purpose of the Standards Task Force
The Standards Task Force is charged with the responsibility of collaborating with the Mass Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and Department of Higher Education (DHE) to assure that Computer Science is included as a core course option to meet Science/Technology/Engineering high school graduation requirements and college admission requirements. Additionally, the Task Force will act to support the implementation of the following goals.
Goals of the Standards Task Force
- Implement a strategy that results in the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) adopting Grade 1-12 Computer Science Standards as a formal part of either of the NGSS or the state’s Science/ Technology/ Engineering standards in 2013.
- Actively participate in and support the DESE in the development and adoption of the Computer Science Curriculum Framework.
- Ensure that all middle and high school Math and Science teachers take at least one undergraduate Computer Science course in order meet Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) licensure requirements effective June 2017.
- Ensure the Board of Higher Education (BHE) requires all state colleges and universities to accept designated Computer Science courses as one of the courses necessary to meet Mathematics or Science admission requirements.
- Ensure that all public Massachusetts teacher preparation colleges and universities are prepared to provide appropriate computer science courses for pre-service students to fulfill licensure requirements necessary for middle and high school Math and Science teachers.
- Ensure that teacher preparation colleges and universities and leading providers of professional development in the state are prepared to provide graduate level comparable courses so that all in-service teachers comply with licensure requirement by June 2017.